Monday, July 4

FIVE: Fantasies


"When you walk by every night, talking sweet and looking fine, I get kind of hectic inside. Baby, I'm so into you. Darling, if you only knew, all things that flow through my mind.

FIVE

Ipod Walker



Have you ever been here before?” I sign to Coty.


He nods, “We went about five years ago. You?”


I was ten the last time I was here.”


Disney World, the most magical place on the Earth. It felt strange to be here without my family, even more so that it was a reward for our rather hectic day. Everything was starting to feel like a dream. Maybe it's better if I keep believing this isn't real. It makes all of the bizarre occurrences tolerable. The fun house, Toby's attack on the alligators, it's all getting intense quickly. Disney felt far too innocent now.


The two of us walk through Epcot Center. Ryan had run off to the Magic Kingdom, and Toby was trying to see everything in one day. Coty wanted to be here, and I didn't want to be alone again. He's nice compared to the other two. Though I'm surprised he's still 'awake'. It's night time, and usually by now he's sleeping and replaced with his brother. Not tonight, and I do like them both, but I'm grateful because I love being able to talk with someone who understands me. I don't like using my thought speech much. It makes me nervous because I can never tell who's listening in. Even if signing gives us weird looks. Sometimes Coty speaks while he does it, like now. It's so normal, and it makes me think of being back home with my family. Not even my boyfriend bothered to do this, but I still love him anyway. He's just kind of a tool sometimes.


This park is my favorite.” He says and takes in the sights of the world tour.


I like them all the same. How can you pick favorites?” I tease.


I love science and culture. Do I have to explain further?”


Have a thing against fairy tales and fantasy? They're not as cool?”


I like fantasy, but I stopped living in it a while ago.”


As in when you and your brother became joined at the hip so to speak?”


He nodded at me and stopped to absorb the sight of the massive glowing ball of light that was the trademark for Epcot. His eyes are sad. I can't imagine what it would be like to share something so personal as your entire being with someone constantly. His love for his brother was a new kind, so devoted and pure. Then again, that's how Coty is in general.


Exactly, but there's a lot of fantasy here too. I think this place is the most magical one in the world. I like it because everyone is in harmony, like people should be, and it shows just where we could go if we put our mind's to it. It's nice to believe in something again.”


It's beautiful.” I agree, staring up at the ball known as Space Ship Earth.


Hungry?”


No, I'm okay. Did you want to try another ride?”


I think there are fireworks soon.”


I like those!”


Me too, they're fascinating. I tried to build one once.”


I raise an eyebrow, not expecting this. I knew Coty was a nerd and all, but I didn't know he had that bit of adventure in him too. He's always surprising though. Of everyone on our team, I'd have expected him to be the one to buckle under pressure. Really, he's the one who always comes through when we need it. He saved both Toby and I in the swamp from the hunters, and the gators. He also figured out how to turn Toby back into his normal human self. I get this feeling though that he doesn't believe he's anything special. Which is a shame.


Tried to build one? Did it not work?” I ask.


He laughed. “It didn't lift, only exploded. Timed, thankfully, so we didn't get hit with it. Lots of fire, but we were ready, and in the middle of no where. Never tried again after that. Rockets were never my specialty though.”


I nudge him. “And what is?”


My specialty?” He looks at me and our eyes meet, and I notice he had pretty eyes that glitter in the lights. A firework goes off, which is good because it distracts me away from staring at him for too long. He's a good looking guy, and nice. He makes me miss Lee, perhaps a little too much.


Yes, your specialty.”


I'll save it for another day.” He smiles. “Or rather, I'll tell you when I can think of what it is.”


It's funny. I can't imagine you doing anything bad to deserve to be here. Ryan, yeah, Toby doesn't surprise me, but you do. Unless it was because of your brother?”


He shifts and shakes his head. “No, it was me. He's here because of me.”


You don't have to say anything more. I'm sure whatever it was, you had your reasons.”


Sort of, but I don't want to talk about it. Not here I mean. We're supposed to be living in fantasy right?”


I put an arm around his back and nod. For a moment I pretend we're just like two regular friends, and we've known each other for a long time. Sometimes it feels like we have. He's easy to talk to, and I'm good at listening. I like it. I like our moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts?